I go to Rio . . . De Janeiro . . . next May, and not just coz my baby smiles at me (she does), but because i will be speaking and learning at Tribal Generation's yearly event, the event that i always get invited to, and yet never get there.
"New Generation or Urban Tribes is a global phenomenon where frontiers are not barriers, where the values are still being defined in a world called post modern. In EUA and Europe the phenomenon is called Emergent Generation and it is made of people that have their values and aims strongly influenced by a global world . . ."
That quote (as well as the images) is from the Brazilian TribalGeneration.org website, translated for English speakers like me. Olgavaro Bastos Jnr has been involved on a leadership level with many of our global emerging church events - we were together in Japan, Colombia, Texas, England, Portugal and Prague. The emerging scene there is huge, and is all over Latin America, but Brazil and Chile seem to be hubs. Much for us to learn from and a welcome mat to contribute what we can.
Here is Olgalvaro. Very cool guy. Dresses like a GQ model, but i think that is part of the Brazilian culture. Maybe i should get some new threads before I go?
We first met in Sheffield but have worked together often in all kinds of countries. we spent a week in the south of Japan, training people for ministry there. Olgalvaro is a video junkie - and their ministry does a lot with cable TV.
From the Brazil website:
"New Generation or Urban Tribes is a global phenomenon where frontiers are not barriers, where the values are still being defined in a world called post modern.
In EUA and Europe the phenomenon is called Emergent Generation and it is made of people that have their values and aims strongly influenced by a global world, adopting its new paradigms or trying to reject everything that the system means. In a time when information is more available than ever before, through cinema, music, technology, like internet and satellite TV; culture is significant and arts are a life-style.
The aim is to see new churches being planted in all Latin America, communities that desire and are able to reach the new generation in a modern way, discipling each group in Jesus Christ’s love.
• Organize forums for reflexion and prophetic guidance about methods, strategies and partnerships, reaching the region, nation and continent.
• Stimulate the planting of new churches to reach the generations.
• Train new leaders, church planters.
• Promote access and interchange between the leaders who are working with the same tribes in different places in the world, where one will be blessing, praying and sharing experiences with the other.
• Cooperation and support of churches that seek the same vision and want to reach their generation, but don’t know how to start or continue this work.
• Make all possible resources available through the website."